What a great school we have, or at least I think so. And it’s all because of you and your determination and generosity to help make our students become all that they can be. We had some pretty lofty goals to raise funds to support this year’s programs and I’m proud to announce that we are on track.
So I would like to send out a BIG THANK YOU to all who have donated and contributed; to all who volunteered their time tirelessly. Without you we would have not been able to achieve what we have.
Here are some of the programs we have accomplished so far:
- PLT (Professional Learning Team) grants were offered for instructional supplies for the classroom to foster creative problem solving, offer literacy support and inspire innovation in our classrooms.
- For English 1 classes, we provides a set of non-iPad devices. This equipment is used to access online formative assessments and literacy support programs such as Study Island and Achieve3000. The devices also allow for classroom access to current non-fiction and “seminal US documents” used in Common Core instruction.
- Another grant awarded purchased “Minecraft” applications for iPad devices to be used in the classroom when English students work on their major STEM project focusing on the study of dystopia in literature. The assignment requires students to utilize the STEM design cycle in order to create and present their plans for building a high school.
- For our Marine Science and Earth Science classes, a grant will provide materials needed to create physical models. Our Earth Science classes will be designing Lunar Stations that could be built on Mars, while Marine Science students create underwater Bio-domes. The materials provided by these PLT grants will allow our students an opportunity to implement the creative thinking and collaboration that is the hallmark of STEM programs.
- We have awarded SAT Prep Scholarships to those students who needed assistance in covering the costs of the SAT Prep course.
- We helped sponsor the StreetSafe Driving Program at Middle Creek that helps educate our kids in becoming safer drivers.
- We are sponsoring the Middle Creek Science Olympiad Teams for this year’s competition.
- We celebrated our first Honor Roll Breakfast last week, giving our kids positive re-enforcement for doing well with their academic studies.
- We celebrate our teachers and staff for the hard work they do by providing teacher luncheons throughout the year.
This time of year makes me reflect on what I’m thankful for. I feel proud and honored to be part of such a caring community. This feeling is what I like to call Mustang Pride. Thank you for all that you do.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!